English Idioms and Phrases Questions Answers – MCQ Quiz
Directions: For each of the following sentences four alternatives are given. You are to choose the correct meaning of the idioms given in bold in the sentences.
1)At a party, he is always in high spirits.
2) We should guard against our green-eyed friends.
3) The sight of the accident made my flash creep.
a) worried me
b) frightened me
c) confused me
d) drew my attention
4) He bids fair to be an excellent cricketer.
a) seems likely
b) is ambitious
c) is confident
d) is unlikely
5) His promotion is on the cards.
6) she exhibited remarkable sang froid during the crisis.
7) Caesar was done to death by the conspirators.
8)Sita is not cut out for this kind of work.
9) He was a king who ruled his subjects with a high hand.
10) A movement for the world unity is in the offing.
a) at the end
b) about to start
c) on decline
d) in the air
11) He is not worth his salt if fails at this juncture.
a) quite worthless
b) very proud of himself
c) quite depressed
d) very strange
12) After having finished the last project, I find myself at a loose end.
b) on vacation
c) free of troubles
d) with nothing to do
13) The boy had a hair-breadth escape from a street accident.
14) I just paid him a left handed compliment.
a) an honest
b) a well deserved
c) an insincere
d) a flattering
15) Seema is a little hard of hearing.